New Zealand beat West Indies by five runs despite Carlos Brathwaite’s fireworks in match no 29 of ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. Brathwaite smashed his maiden ODI century but it wane it vain as New Zealand proved to be the eventual winners. Chasing 292 to win, West Indies were bowled out for 286 with an over still left to play. Trent Boult finished with a four-wicket haul, while Lockie Ferguson took three wickets to help New Zealand clinch a thrilling victory. West Indies vs New Zealand Highlights, ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: NZ Beat WI by 5 Runs, Move to Top of Points Table.
Earlier, Kane Williamson became the second player after Shakib Al Hasan to hit consecutive centuries in CWC19. The New Zealand skipper also joined David Warner, Shakib, Joe Root and Rohit Sharma to have scored two centuries in the ongoing tournament. West Indies got off to a fine start with Sheldon Cottrell dismissing both the New Zealand openers in his opening over before Williamson and Ross Taylor took control of things. Cottrell took four wickets in his 10 overs. New Zealand vs West Indies Highlights And Cricket Score – 29th ODI match – Full Scorecard.
Here are some stats from WI vs NZ CWC 2019 match
1. Chris Gayle took the wicket of Ross Taylor in the match. The Universe Boss now has more wickets (22) than any other West Indies bowler against New Zealand. He overtook Courtney Walsh to get this record in his name.
2. Kane Williamson scored back-to-back tons in the World Cup. He became the 11th batsmen to score consecutive 100s in World Cups.
3. Kane Williamson also became only the third captain to hit back-to-back tons in the World Cups.
4. Sheldon Cottrell of West Indies was involved in seven out of eight New Zealand dismissals. He took four wickets, grabbed two catches and effected a run-out in the match.
5. Carlos Brathwaite hit a hundred off just 80 balls.
6. Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor hit 160 runs for third wicket partnership. This was the pair’s 14th century stand.
Coming out to bat in reply to New Zealand’s 291, West Indies looked good as Chris Gayle and Shimron Hetmyer put together a 100 runs partnership. However, a middle order collapse saw West Indies losing five wickets for just 38 runs between 21 to 30 overs.
However, Carlos Brathwaite played an unbelievable innings at the end to take West Indies close to the target and send shivers down the New Zealand spine through his brilliant hundred.
But West Indies fell five runs short as he holed out to Boult at the boundary line, who took a good catch and ended West Indies hope in ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. New Zealand are now at the top of points table in ICC CWC 2019. Kane Williamson was awarded the Player of the Match award for his 148 runs knock.