A partial lunar eclipse is set to take place on July 17, 2019 midnight. The chandra grahan will manifest in the skies at around 0:10 am, when the moon will enter the penumbra of the earth. The celestial phenomenon is of astronomical and religious importance in India. The observation of sutak kaal during the chandra grahan is mainly done to repel the negative effects of the eclipse. But much of what we know about grahan is eclipsed in myths. For example, the lunar eclipse is said to have a profound effect on life on earth. But that’s hardly the truth. Here are some unbelievable facts about eclipses you never knew about. Lunar Eclipse of July 16, 2019: List of Dos and Don’ts or Sutak Kaal During the Chandra Grahan.
- For a lunar eclipse to take place, the sun, earth and moon have to align themselves in a straight line known in astronomy as syzygy.
- It takes a full moon for a lunar eclipse to take place.
- Lunar eclipses can last more than three hours.
- There are three types of lunar eclipses – partial, full and penumbral.
- Lunar eclipses used to scare the ancient humans who believed they were a sign of God’s displeasure.
- The moon turns a shade of red during the lunar eclipse due to the refraction of light. It’s called the “blood moon.”
- Unlike the solar eclipse, lunar eclipse doesn’t cause any harm if you look at it directly. That’s because the moon doesn’t emit its own light.
- It’s believed that total lunar eclipses can sometimes cause earthquakes. But there’s no evidence to fully support that claim.
- Darkness caused by the eclipse in measured in the Danjon scale.
- Two lunar eclipses happen every year. But there can’t be more than three annually.
- Occurrences of solar and lunar eclipses are connected to each other. In a matter of two weeks, each can follow or precede the other.
If you are lucky, you’ll get to witness the chandra grahan or lunar eclipse a little past midnight today. Catch everything about lunar eclipse timings and live streaming here. Although the lunar eclipse is an astronomical phenomenon, many still believe in the myths. The truth is that lunar eclipse or chandra grahan can be explained by science and one shouldn’t fall prey to the blind beliefs associated with it.