Today is World Book Day 2019. It is no less than a festival for all the bookworms out there, and the hype is entirely understandable. There is anything in the world that can come close to books. They are the gateway to the imagination. Books are best friends. Books are a companion. Like a good company, a good book can enrich one’s mind with great thoughts and knowledge. It has the power to change us and help us unleash our full potential. As we celebrate World Book Day 2019, we will look at some of the best and most-inspiring quotes on books that will make you get back to reading at once. Yes, we have marvellous quotes from Jane Austen to Mark Twain to CS Lewin to many more.
World Book Day, also known as World Book and Copyright Day, or International Day of the Book is celebrated on April 23, 2019. The annual event organised by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to promote reading, publishing, and copyright was first celebrated in 1995. The idea to dedicate a day to books was first thought by Valencian writer Vicente Clavel Andrés as a way to honour the author Miguel de Cervantes, widely regarded as the greatest Spanish writer on his birth anniversary (October 7) and again on his death anniversary (April 23.) However, UNESCO locked on to April 23, which is also the death anniversaries of notable writers such as William Shakespeare and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega.
Coming back to motivating quotes on books, you will find a bunch of exciting one-liners from the greatest authors of all time. You can also share these quotes with your booklover bestie or forward in your WhatsApp family group, because trust us that space really needs some enlightenment.
- “So many books, so little time.” ― Frank Zappa
- “A room without books is like a body without a soul.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero
- “The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.” ― Jane Austen
- “Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” ― Mark Twain
- “I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.” ― Jorge Luis Borges
- “Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” ― Lemony Snicket
- “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” ― C.S. Lewis
- “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde
- “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” ― Groucho Marx
- “It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.” ― Oscar Wilde
- “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” ― Toni Morrison
How were the quotes? Interesting, Isn’t it? Now that you have realised (once again) that nothing in the world can replace a good book, go and grab one right away. Make sure to indulge in reading as it has the power to shape us into a better version of ourselves. Wish you a very Happy World Book Day 2019!